Home 9 Personal Injury 9 What Happens if My Accident Report Is Wrong?

What Happens if My Accident Report Is Wrong?

After you have been in a car accident, the responding police officer will generally file an accident report with details about the collision. This car accident report is among the most critical pieces of evidence you will need to file a claim. However, sometimes the details in the report contain errors. These mistakes might seem insignificant at first, but insurance companies often use these inconsistencies against you in your claim. 

For this reason, it is important to access and read the report as soon as possible to fix any mistakes that you find. An experienced Louisiana car accident lawyer can assist you in correcting any errors in your accident report. If you need answers now, don’t hesitate to contact Veron Bice, LLC for a free initial consultation.

Factual Errors and Subjective Errors in a Police Report

police report

Most mistakes in police reports are either factual errors or subjective errors.

Factual errors are pieces of information that are objectively incorrect. They might include the incorrect date of the accident or the model of the vehicle. Some of the most common factual errors in accident reports include:

  • Inaccurate names, dates of birth, or license plate numbers
  • Incorrect make and model of vehicles involved in the accident
  • Inaccurate testimony from drivers or witnesses
  • Wrong accident location
  • Vital missing information

Factual errors are usually easy to fix, provided you have documentation that demonstrates the correct information.

Subjective errors or disputed information, on the other hand, can be more difficult to fix because they involve the opinions and conclusions of the police officer or the witnesses. If the officer believes one witness who stated that you ran a red light, even though another witness said the light was still green, the first witness’s statement may have more prominence in the report. In a case like this, it is nearly impossible to prove one party’s word over another unless you have more substantial evidence.

If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to contact Veron Bice, LLC today.

What Do I Do if my Police Report Is Wrong?

There are a few ways of correcting errors in the accident report. It might be challenging to change the original report, but the police department may allow you to request a supplemental report, which the reporting officer can present along with the original. 

These steps can give you a better chance of having your report amended:

  • Provide documentation — The reporting officer is more likely to correct any errors if you have documentation that proves the mistake. You can provide the officer with a copy of your driver’s license, for example, if the report lists your birthday incorrectly. 
  • Politely request changes as soon as you can — This is one reason it is helpful to get hold of the report as soon as possible. If you notice any issues with the police report, contact the reporting officer right away. They might be able to change mistakes before finalizing the report. Being polite and respectful with the officer can go a long way.
  • Make a new statement — If an officer will not amend disputed information, you can write up a new statement yourself and request to have it attached to the report. The more evidence you can include to prove the error, such as documentation or photographs, the better your chances will be of making a change to the report. An experienced attorney can help you craft an effective new statement.
  • Include medical documentation in the report — If you suffered a serious injury in the accident and were in the hospital when you gave your statement, your pain level or medication probably made it difficult to give an accurate version of your side of the story. Of course, if someone lost their life in the accident, emotions could be too difficult to give accurate information. If you provide the reporting officer with medical evidence that shows that your original statement was made in an altered state, the officer might allow you to issue a new statement for the report.

Contact an Experienced Louisiana Car Accident Attorney Today

gavel and car crash

If you have noticed mistakes in your accident report, the most effective way to correct them is with the help of an experienced Louisiana personal injury attorney. Even if an error seems fairly minor, a skilled lawyer can ensure that your report is as accurate as it can be and, if necessary, can also attach supplementary statements that demonstrate where the errors are. While it might still be impossible to amend the original report, the attorney’s statement can help you dispute the incorrect information.

The experienced personal injury lawyers at Veron Bice, LLC have extensive experience successfully representing Louisiana residents who have been injured in car accidents. You deserve to hold the at-fault party accountable, and we are ready to help you set the record straight so that you can receive full and fair compensation for your accident. Contact us online, or at 337-310-1600 for a free consultation.

Veron Bice Logo

Lake Charles, Louisiana


We Win Cases They Now Teach in Law Schools

Veron Bice attorneys group photo