In this post, we’ll discuss how to file an insurance claim, how to file a claim against the other driver, how long you have to file a claim, how long an insurance claim takes, and whether you need a car accident lawyer.
How to File an Insurance Claim
Here are the steps you need to take to file an insurance claim:
- Get Medical Attention – If you’re injured, the first step is to seek medical attention. Your health and well-being are the top priority. Documenting your injuries is also important for your insurance claim.
- Gather Information – Collect information about the accident, including the names and contact information of the other drivers involved, names and contact information for any witnesses, the make and model of the vehicles involved, and the location and time of the accident.
- Call the Police – Report the accident to the police and request a police report. This report will be useful when filing your insurance claim.
- Take Photos – Take photos of the damage to your vehicle, the accident scene, and your injuries. This evidence will help support your insurance claim later.
- Notify Your Insurance Company – Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident. Provide them with the information you’ve gathered, including the police report and photos.
How to File an Insurance Claim Against the Other Driver
Here’s what you need to know when it comes to filing an insurance claim against the at-fault driver:
- Gather Information – Collect the other driver’s name, contact information, insurance company, and policy number.
- Notify the Other Driver’s Insurance Company – Contact the other driver’s insurance company and report the accident. Provide them with all the information you have so they can locate the driver’s policy in their records.
- Negotiate – The insurance company will likely contact you to negotiate a settlement. It’s best to have an attorney on your side to ensure they don’t try to force you to accept a subpar offer.
How Long Do You Have to File an Insurance Claim?
Your insurance policy should say how long you have to report an accident to your car insurance company. You should file your claim as soon as possible. An attorney can help with your insurance claim, and take your case to trial if insurance negotiations are not successful.
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim varies by state. Here in Louisiana, you have one year from the date of the accident to pursue a claim. It’s essential that you file your claim as soon as possible to avoid missing this deadline. If you miss the deadline, the other party can file a motion to dismiss your claim because it isn’t timely. A judge will likely grant their motion, preventing you from seeking compensation.
How Long Does an Insurance Claim Take?
The length of time it takes to resolve an insurance claim depends on several factors, including the complexity of the case and the amount of evidence available. On average, it can take several weeks to months to resolve an insurance claim.
Do I Need a Lawyer for an Insurance Claim?
While it’s not required that you have a lawyer for an insurance claim, it can be very helpful to have one on your side. A lawyer can navigate the entire process for you, negotiate with the insurance companies, and pursue the compensation you need and deserve.
Should I Get a Lawyer?
If you’re unsure about your rights or the compensation you’re entitled to, it’s a good idea to consult with a car accident lawyer. An attorney can help you understand your rights and the best course of action for your specific case.
What Type of Lawyer Handles Insurance Claims?
Reporting a car accident to insurance can be complex and time-consuming, but we can handle the details for you. By following the steps we’ve outlined, you can rest easy knowing that your insurance claim is handled correctly.
Here at Veron Bice, LLC, our experienced attorneys have dedicated their professional lives to helping Louisianans in need. We have decades of combined experience navigating the legal process, negotiating settlements, and fighting for the maximum possible awards for our clients. Give us a call today at 337-310-1600 to get your free consultation.